Host a Meeting Online (Web App)
You can host sessions from your Google Chrome browser instead of using the desktop app or a mobile app. The GoToMeeting Web App is a browser-based version of GoToMeeting that can be run entirely online! Unlike when hosting or joining sessions with the desktop app, the Web App does not require any downloads because it stays contained within your web browser. This can be especially beneficial for users who are having trouble installing the desktop app or are in locked-down environments that can't download software.
Note: Organizers must be running Google Chrome in order to host meetings. If you are a Linux or Chromebook organizer, your instructions will vary slightly. See Can I host meetings using Linux or Chromebook? for more information.
If you don't have easy access to the desktop app, you can use the Web App to quickly launch and host your sessions online!
- First, take note of the Meeting ID. You will need it to start the meeting.
- Open a Google Chrome browser.
- Go to https://app.gotomeeting.com.
- Enter the Meeting ID or meeting room name, then click the Arrow button .
- If prompted, click start the meeting at the bottom of the page.
- Enter your GoToMeeting credentials (e.g., email address and password).
- You will automatically be launched into session! Once you select your audio mode, you will see a Welcome Tour that shows you the different organizer features that are available in the Web App.
You can invite others during the session by opening the Attendees pane and clicking Invite at the top-right.
On the Invite People window, click Copy link to copy the Join URL to your clipboard, or click Email to launch a new email message with the meeting information pre-populated.
When using the Web App, you can broadcast your own screen (or a specific application) to the rest of the session participants. To do so, you will need to complete a one-time installation of the screensharing browser extension if you are running Google Chrome v71 or older.
See Share Your Screen (Web App) to learn more.
- If you're running Google Chrome v71 or older, make sure you have downloaded the GoToMeeting Pro Screensharing extension.
- Click the Screen button at the bottom of the your screen. If you do not see the icon, ask the organizer to make you Presenter.
- Choose to broadcast your entire screen to other participants or select a specific application or Chrome tab. Note that all applications that are currently open will be shared. If you do not see the application you want, be sure that it is not currently minimized.
- Click Share.
- While your screen is being shared to other session participants, you will see a floating notification reminding you that other attendees can see your screen. You can click Hide to minimize the window if desired.
When using the Web App, you can broadcast your webcam to other participants during the session so that you can collaborate face-to-face. Up to 25 different webcams can be shared during a session!
See Share your Webcam (Web App) to learn more.
- To preview your webcam, click the Camera icon in the lower toolbar or click the Settings icon in the top toolbar and the Camera tab.
- To share your webcam, select the desired device from the drop-down menu and click Share My Camera.
- To stop sharing your webcam, click the Camera button again or click Stop sharing my camera in the Camera tab.
If you have cloud recording enabled in the Admin Center, you can record your meeting and have it automatically saved online.
- Click the Record icon in the lower toolbar. This icon will turn red notifying you that the session is being recorded.
- To pause, click the Record icon again. You will see the icon switch back to gray.
- Once you end the meeting, the My Meetings page will launch in a browser. Head over to the Meeting History tab where you can play the recording, copy the link, download, and delete. Note that it will take a couple minutes for the latest recording to appear.
- Click the Attendee icon in the top toolbar.
- To mute or unmute an attendee, you can do the following:
- Click the Mic or Phone icon next to the desired attendee.
- Click the More icon next to the desired attendee, and click Mute or Unmute.
- Click the Attendee icon in the top toolbar.
- Click the More icon next to the desired attendee, and click one of the following:
- Make presenter:The presenter has the ability to share their screen with other attendees during a session. As an organizer, you can make another attendee the presenter at any time (which does not cause them to automatically become an organizer) or can "open" the meeting so that any participant can take the presenter role without permission. The Presenter will then be able to make anyone else a presenter after them.
- Make organizer:You can make someone a co-organizer before the session begins so that they can start the session if you are unable to.
- Click OK to confirm.
Entry and exit chimes play each time a participant joins or leaves the session
- Click the Settings icon in the top toolbar.
- In the General tab, enable or disable the Entry & exit chimes checkbox.