How do I use breakout rooms during a meeting?
Organizers and co-organizers can break out meeting attendees into smaller groups (up to 50 rooms) for separate discussions and activities.It is a great way to keep attendees engaged, manage discussions, and collaborate in smaller groups.
Before you begin...
How do I schedule a meeting with breakout rooms?
- Open the GoTo desktop app on your computer or sign in from a browser.
- Select Meetings in the left menu, then . Note: To add breakout rooms to an existing meeting, open the meeting details and select Edit.
- Select More options, then enable Breakout rooms.
- Read through what features will be disabled during the meeting, then select Confirm and turn on.
- Select Save.
How do I start and assign breakout rooms during a meeting?
If you scheduled a meeting with breakout rooms, you can start them at any time during the session.
- Start your meeting in the web browser experience or GoTo desktop app.
- Select the People pane and Create breakout rooms.
- Choose the number of rooms you want create. Note: You can have up to 50 rooms. The default is set to 2 rooms.
- Select how you want to assign attendees to rooms.
- Automatically assign people to rooms – GoTo will randomly sort attendees into rooms.
- Let me assign people to rooms – This will create empty rooms and requires you to manually move attendees to the desired room.
- Select Preview rooms. The People pane will display how attendees will be split among rooms.
- You can manually move attendees to another room by selecting their name and Move to or by dragging and dropping. Note: Once you start breakout rooms, you can't move attendees from one room to another. To do so, you will have to end the current breakout and start a new one.
- Click Start breakout. Attendees will see a countdown before the breakout begins. Note: You can cancel the breakout room during the countdown.
- You'll remain in the main room along with any co-organizers. You and any co-organizer can join other rooms by selecting Join.
- During the breakout, you can send a chat message to all rooms. Although attendees cannot chat you, they can request help using the Assistance icon.
- To end the breakout and go back to the regular session with all attendees, select End breakout.
Review frequently asked questions about running breakout rooms during a meeting.
What are the limitations during breakout rooms?
- Phone call or custom conference mode
- Meeting lock
- Password protection
- Recording of breakout session
- Meeting Diagnostics & attendee report
- Chat between attendee and organizer during the breakout
What happens to attendees who join late?
You will be able to move late attendees manually or by dragging and dropping their name from the main room to any room.
What if my attendees need help?
Can I assign myself and co-organizers to rooms?
Yes, you can add yourself or any co-organizers to a room before starting a breakout. You will be able to go back and join the main breakout at any time.
What's coming in breakout rooms?
- Ability to move multiple attendees at once during the breakout.
- Ability for attendees to join the main session during the breakout.
- Ability for attendees to chat from the room to the organizer.
- Ability to rename breakout rooms.
- Ability to set timer and share materials and handouts.
- Meeting lock.
- Recording of breakout rooms.
- Calendar integration.