iOS device management
With GoTo Resolve MDM you can secure and control your company's iOS devices. GoTo Resolve MDM supports all iOS versions from version 5 onwards except the prerelease or beta versions which are not supported. This article considers some basic management features as well as different device enrollment methods supported by GoTo Resolve MDM.
In order to start managing your Apple devices in GoTo Resolve MDM, you need to take the Apple Push Notification service into use. This service is used for secure communication between GoTo Resolve MDM and managed Apple devices. Read more about the Apple Push Notification service from our knowledge base.
There are two management modes for iOS devices: supervised and unsupervised. The devices in supervised mode, have some additional management options compared to unsupervised devices. The purpose of the device and who owns it will help you determine the device management method. When using corporate-owned devices, the best option is to supervise them. Supervision gives administrators better control over the device and they can easier monitor that the device is compliant with company policies and regulations. There are several different ways to set the device into supervised mode.
Admin may use various different methods to enroll iOS devices to GoTo Resolve MDM.
- Apple's Automated Device Enrollment feature is the recommended enrollment method for organizations having an Apple Business/School Manager account. This method is available for iPads and iPhones running iOS 7 or later, and it allows you to manage devices in the Supervised mode. Devices that are not yet associated with Apple Business or School Manager can be added to your ABM/ASM account using Apple configurator 2 to add iOS devices.
- If you want to manage personally owned Apple devices with GoTo Resolve MDM, you should enroll the devices in GoTo Resolve MDM by installing an MDM profile to the devices manually. See also the Enrollment Instructions for iOS Device Users article. If you have the device at hand, it is easiest to use the Enroll device wizard in GoTo Resolve MDM to install the MDM profile on the device.
- Alternatively, you can download the MDM profile from the GoTo Resolve MDMSystem > Infrastructure diagram. Use the Apple configurator in order to install the MDM profile to iOS devices.
- If devices are in the users' possession, you can send an enrollment message from GoTo Resolve MDM to multiple users at once or instruct them to do the self-service enrollment to their devices.
Supported management features for iOS devices
- Device inventory collection
- Configuration profiles, such as:
- Mail for Exchange
- Activation Lock
- Security actions, like:
- Application and certificate management
- Business policies