How do I plug in a phone?
See below for details on how to properly plug in a VOIP phone.
You will need to understand the following key concepts:
- Internet source is the physical connection to the internet. This can be shared with other network devices (phones, computers, etc.) and dispersed through an ethernet cable plugged into a wall jack, router, or switch.
- PoE stands for Power over Ethernet, a technology that allows ethernet cabling to carry both data and electricity to a device.
- Daisy chain refers to using the phone’s PC port (switchport) to share the same internet source with another device, such as a computer.
- Plug in the handset and headset cables.
- Plug the network cable from the internet source into the LAN port on the phone (may be labeled as SW, NET, or Internet).
- If daisy chaining the computer to the phone, plug a network cable into the PC port on the phone and then plug the other end into the computer. The phone should supply the connection to the computer (internet source > phone > computer).
- If the phone is not using PoE, plug in the power adapter.
Select a method to provision your phone. If you are new to Hosted VoIP, this may be really confusing; so feel free to contact Customer Support for more guidance.