Steps for Installing on Windows
Installing the full-featured GoToWebinar desktop app onto your computer allows you to get the most out of your webinar. Note that when you start or join a webinar, the GoToWebinar software download will begin automatically. If you are on a Mac computer, see Steps for Installing on Mac.
About the installation package
Once the desktop app is installed, you will be able to join and start future webinars more quickly by avoiding the extended download process. When you install GoToWebinar, you will download 2 of the software to your computer.
- GoToWebinar desktop app – This is the main software that you use to join and start webinars.
- GoTo Opener – This is the "helper" application that launches you into active webinars.
Download the desktop app
To save you time, we've designed the desktop software to automatically install itself when you join a session. When you click Download below, you will be launched into the waiting room a test meeting.
Note that this is not a live session, so as soon as you see the confirmation screen appear you can exit.
If the GoTo Opener application is not installed (either first time joining or it was removed), then the GoToWebinar Opener.exe file will automatically start downloading. Continue to Step #2.
If the GoTo Opener application is already installed, then some or all of the following steps will be skipped. The web browser will automatically start the Opener app, which will then launch the GoToWebinar application (or install it again, if needed). Skip down to Run the desktop app once installed for more details.
2. If the GoTo Opener application is not already installed, then the GoToWebinar Opener.exe file will automatically begin downloading. Depending on which web browser you are running, you can complete the download as follows:
- Click Save File when prompted by the "Opening GoToWebinar Opener.exe" dialog (click restart the download in the browser window if needed).
- Click the Downloads button in the toolbar, and then select the "GoToWebinar Opener.exe" file.
- Click Run if prompted.
When the download finishes, click GoToWebinarOpener.exe at the bottom of the page to open the file (click restart the download in the browser window if needed).
- Click Run when prompted.
Click Run when prompted (click launch GoToWebinar again in the browser window if needed).
3. The GoTo Opener application will be automatically installed, along with the Web Deployment browser plugin (click Yes if prompted by User Account Control). GoToWebinar will be automatically launched.
Once the download is done, the customer will be able to join future webinars even faster! See Run the desktop app once installed for more information about joining future webinars.
Note: If customers remove the GoTo Opener application at a later time, they'll need to go through the entire download process again. We don’t recommend that customers do this if they frequently join support sessions, as they will lose the benefit of faster join times.
Run the desktop app once installed
Once the GoTo Opener application has been installed, customers will not need to download it again (unless they remove it). When these customers join a support session next, they will be prompted with additional dialogs from the web browser requesting permission to start the GoTo Opener and/or GoToWebinar application on the customer's behalf.
If you are running Firefox, you may be prompted to choose an application to use (either the GoTo Opener application, or the GoToWebinar application).
1. Select the "Remember my choice for GoTO Opener links" check box to avoid being prompted by the dialog again when joining future sessions.
2. Click OK to continue. The GoTo Opener application will then start, as shown in Step #3 above.
If you are running Chrome, it may request your permission to open an external application (i.e., the GoTo Opener application or the GoToWebinar desktop application) by prompting you with an "External Protocol Request".
1. Select the "Remember my choice for GoTo Opener links" check box to avoid being prompted by the dialog again when joining future sessions.
2. Click Open GoTo Opener to continue. The GoTo Opener application will then start, as shown in Step #3 above.
Customers running Internet Explorer v9 or later will not be prompted by any additional dialogs. Customers running v8 or older will be prompted to manually launch the applications.
1. Click Launch GoToWebinar in the web browser.
2. Click Run in the Application Run dialog. The GoTo Opener application will then start, as shown in Step #3 above.