How do I record a training?
GoToTraining offers you 2 options for session recording. You can choose whichever option works best for you! See Choose your recording method for more information.
How Does Recording Work?
Successfully using session recording requires a series of steps on the organizer's part. Use the steps below to set up and use session recording.
- Record sessions: Organizers and co-organizers can start and stop recording during trainings.
- Convert recordings: After each recorded session, you must manually convert the temporary recording file into a downloadable format (.WMV or .MP4). Note: If you use online recording, then this step is not applicable to you.
- Upload recordings: To allow attendees to view your recordings, you can upload them to the My Recordings page. Note: If you use online recording, then this step is not applicable to you.
- Share recordings: You can share the recording with attendees by giving them the direct URL.
- Play back recordings: Attendees can use the direct URL to view the recording on any device.
Choose Your Recording Method (Online Vs. Local)
GoToTraining offers organizers two options for session recording. You can choose whichever option works best for you!
- Log in to your account at https://global.gototraining.com.
- Click Settings in the left menu and go to the Recording tab.
- Choose whichever recording mode works best for you.
- Online recording: Have your recordings automatically saved online (recommended) – With this option, your session recordings will be automatically saved to the My Recordings page of your online account. From there you can view, download and share them with attendees. In addition, any registration or payment settings that you set up for the session will be automatically applied to the recording.
- Local recording: Have your recordings saved locally on your computer – With this option, your session recordings will be saved as a file on your local hard drive. In order to view or share them with attendees, the recording file will need to be converted to a different format (.MP4). After the session, you will need to manually convert them to a different format using the Recording Manager, and then upload them to the My Recordings page of your online account.
- Do you want shared webcams to appear in your recordings? If so, check the Include webcams in the recording box (available only for online recordings). Keep in mind that this will make your recording files larger.
- Click Save when finished
Start Recording During a Session
We recommend having two organizers record the session in case one organizer encounters any issues that may potentially disrupt the recording.
- Ensure that you are sharing your screen or an application to include them in your session recording. Note: If you are using online recording, then sharing your screen is optional; you can choose to only have audio recorded if desired.
- At the bottom of the Screen Sharing pane, click Start Recording (Windows) or Record (Mac). If you do not see the button on your Windows Control Panel, click
in the Control Panel menu.Note: The free storage space available in the saved recording file location is displayed next to the button. At least 5 GB of free space must be available to record a session locally. If the recording space drops below 100MB, the recording automatically stops. If you are using online recording and do not have enough free space on your My Recordings page, GoToTraining will automatically switch to local recording.
- All attendees will see a notification that the session is being recorded at the bottom of their Control Panel. If you are using online recording, all Windows organizers will also see a pop-up message notifying them that the recording has been started.
- If you are using local recording, you will need to manually convert those sessions using the Recording Manager.
Stop Recording During a Session
- At the bottom of the Screen Sharing pane, click Stop Recording (Windows) or Recording (Mac). If you do not see the button on your Windows Control Panel, click in the Control Panel menu.
- If desired, you can restart recording during the same session.
- If you are using local recording, you will need to manually convert those sessions using the Recording Manager. If you are using online recording, then this step is not necessary and you will be launched directly to you My Recordings page.