Record a Session
You can record any session and then store the recording for attendees to view at a later time. When a session is recorded, the presenter's screen, the audio conference and any shared applications are included. GoToTraining offers you 2 options for session recording. You can choose whichever option works best for you! See Recording methods (online vs. local) for more information.
The features that are available on your account may vary depending on your subscription plan.
How does a session recording work?
As the organizer, there are a couple steps you need to take to successfully record and share session recordings.
- Record the session – Organizers and co-organizers can start and stop recording the training.
- Convert the recording – If you recorded locally, you must manually convert the temporary recording file into a downloadable format (.WMV or .MP4) after the training ends. If you used online recording, this step is not applicable to you.
- Upload the recording – To share your recording with attendees, you must upload it to the My Recordings page. If you used online recording, this step is not applicable to you.
- Share the recording – Your can share the recording with attendees by giving them the direct URL.
- Play back the recording – Attendees can use the direct URL to view the recording on any device.
Recording methods (online vs. local)
GoToTraining offers you 2 options for session recording. You can choose whichever option works best for you! You can also change your recording settings at any time. Any changes made will affect all future sessions (even those that are already scheduled).
Webcam support in online recordings is available on Pro and Plus subscription plans only.
1. Log in at https://global.gototraining.com.
2. Click Settings in the left navigation and go to the Recording tab.
3. Choose whichever option works best for you:
Online recording: Have your recordings automatically saved online (recommended)
With this option, your session recordings will be automatically saved to the My Recordings page of your online account. From there you can view, download, and share the recordings with attendees. In addition, any registration or payment settings that you set up for the session will be automatically applied to the recording.
- Local recording: Have your recordings saved locally on your computer
With this option, your session recordings will be saved as a file on your local hard drive. In order to view or share them with attendees, the recording file will need to be converted to a different format (.MP4). After the session, you will need to manually convert them to a different format using the Recording Manager, and then upload them to the My Recordings page of your online account.
4. Do you want shared webcams to appear in your recordings? If so, enable the "Include webcams in the recording" check box (available only for online recordings). Keep in mind that this will make your recording files larger.
5. Click Save when finished.
Start recording during a session
We recommend having 2 organizers record the session in case 1 organizer encounters any issues that may potentially disrupt the recording.
1. Ensure that you are sharing your screen or an application to include them in your session recording.
Note: If you are using online recording, sharing your screen is optional. You can choose to only have audio recorded if desired.
2. At the bottom of the Screen Sharing pane, click Start Recording (Windows) or Record (Mac). If you do not see the button in your Windows Control Panel, click View and then Recording at the top of the Control Panel.
Note: The free storage space available in the saved recording file location is displayed next to the button. At least 5 GB of free space must be available to record a session locally. If the recording space drops below 100MB, the recording automatically stops. If you are using online recording and do not have enough free space on your My Recordings page, GoToTraining will automatically switch to local recording.
3. All attendees will see a notification that the session is being recorded at the bottom of their Control Panel. If you are using online recording, all Windows organizers will also see a pop-up message notifying them that the recording has been started.
4. If you are using local recording, you will need to manually convert those sessions using the Recording Manager . If you are using online recording, then this step is not necessary and you will be launched directly to your My Recordings page.
Stop recording during a session
1. At the bottom of the Screen Sharing pane, click Stop Recording (Windows) or Recording (Mac). If you do not see the button in your Windows Control Panel, click View and then Recording at the top of the Control Panel.
2. If desired, you can restart recording during the same session .
3. If you are using local recording, you will need to manually convert those sessions using the Recording Manager . If you are using online recording, then this step is not necessary and you will be launched directly to your My Recordings page.