Announcement lines allow callers to hear a prerecorded message. Announcements are typically messages that frequently change, such as daily school announcements for students and parents, seasonal sales or promotions, etc. Because announcements are constantly changing, it is helpful to set up these lines so that any user, even non-admins, can record and update these recordings without needing access to the admin portal.
If announcements do not change often or a system admin is updating the recordings, you may consider using a sound clip in a dial plan instead of the steps below.
Callers will need to be routed to the announcement line via an auto attendant on your dial plan or by directing a phone number to the extension.
1. Log in at my.jive.com/PBX.
2. Click Shared Voicemail Boxes in the left sidebar and then click [ADD SHARED VOICEMAIL BOX]. This shared voicemail box will only be used as the announcement line.
- The next available number will automatically populate the Extension; change this number as needed.
3. Enter a Name for the shared voicemail box.
4. Click the checkmark icon and then click the new shared voicemail box.
5. From the Voicemail Tab > Notification Options section, enable all Email Notification Options.
6. Select the Email Address recipient of voicemail notifications (voicemails are uncommon).
- Emails can only be delivered to a single email address. If you need to deliver your email to a group, use an email alias (e.g. email@example.com) or create an auto-forward rule in your email client.
- Emails will come from firstname.lastname@example.org, so make sure this address is not marked as SPAM or junk mail.
7. From the General Options section, choose Escape to extension and then select the desired extension (optional). This allows a caller to press 0 (zero) during the announcement to be transferred back to the beginning of a dial plan or to a different line for assistance.
- Enabling this setting does not automatically prompt callers to press 0 (zero) to escape to another extension. You will need to include these instructions in your announcement recording.
8. Click [SAVE].
9. Record your announcement (see below for instructions)
1. Dial *98 from a phone.
2. Enter the extension assigned to the announcement line.
3. Enter the voicemail password (default 0000).
4. Press 0 for Mailbox Options.
5. Press 4 to record a Temporary Message—When recorded, this message overrides any other voicemail greetings. In your recording:
- Record 10-20+ seconds of silence after your announcement to ensure the caller does hear a beep and leave a voicemail.
- If escape to operator is enabled, include instructions to press 0 (zero) to be transferred to the specified extension (see step 9 above).
6. Follow the voice prompts to accept, review, or re-record the recording.
Tip: To delete a temporary message, dial *98 or *99 to access the voicemail menu. Press 0 for Mailbox Options, 4 for Record Temporary Message, and then 2 to Delete Temporary Message. If you are a system admin, you can also delete these directly from the admin portal.