Fax machines have been around a long time, and are a key piece of communication for many organizations. A virtual fax machine allows you to send and receive faxes through email, removing the need to have a physical fax machine and allowing you to fax on the go.
1. From your email account, compose a new message.
- Virtual fax machines are only available within the US and Canada.
- Virtual faxes can only be sent to external fax numbers; any virtual faxes sent between two internal extensions will fail.
2. Enter faxNumber@‹domain›.fax.onjive.com in the TO: field.
- Replace faxNumber with the external 10 digit fax phone number, without the 1 or any dashes (e.g. 8012321987). You cannot send a virtual fax to a number that requires an extension (e.g. 8012321987 ext 1121).
- Replace ‹domain› with your unique domain (found in parentheses at the top of the admin dashboard).
3. Enter the virtual fax machine’s access code in the SUBJECT: field.
- If you add a subject, enter a space after the access code and then include the subject (i.e. 294034210 March Invoice).
- If you do not have the virtual fax machine’s access code, contact your system admin for assistance.
4. Remove ALL text from the body of the email, including email signatures.
5. Attach file(s) to the email.
- Supported File Types
- Microsoft Office: .doc, .docx, .ppt, .pptx, .xls, .xlsx
- Document: .pdf, .rtf, .txt
- Image: .jpg, .tiff, .png, .bmp, .gif
- Video and audio files are not supported.
- Our Recommendations
- Larger files may experience lag time or potentially fail, we recommend no more than 200 pages at a time.
6. Click [Send].
- If the fax was delivered successfully, you may or may not receive an email confirmation as this functionally must be enabled by your system admin. However, emails are always sent in the case of transmission failures.
- Emails will come from firstname.lastname@example.org, so make sure this address is not marked as SPAM or junk mail.