How do I set up an announcement line?
Announcement lines allow callers to hear a prerecorded message such as a daily school announcement, seasonal sale or promotion, etc. Because announcements are continually changing, it is helpful to set up these lines so that any user can record and update these recordings without needing access to the admin portal.
- If announcements do not change often or a system admin is updating the recordings, you may consider using a sound clip in a dial plan instead of the steps below.
- Callers will need to be routed to the announcement line via an auto attendant on your dial plan or by directing a phone number to the extension.
- Log in at https://my.jive.com/pbx.
- Click Shared Voicemail Boxes in the left sidebar and then click Add Shared Voicemail Box. Note: This shared voicemail box will only be used as the announcement line.
- The next available number will automatically populate the Extension; change this number as needed.
- Enter a Name for the shared voicemail box.
- Click and then click the new shared voicemail box.
- From , enable all Email Notification Options.
- Select the Email Address recipient of voicemail notifications.
- Optional: From General Options, choose Escape to extension and then select the desired extension. This allows a caller to press 0 during the announcement to be transferred back to the beginning of a dial plan or a different line for assistance. Note: Enabling this setting does not automatically prompt callers to press 0 to escape to another extension. You will need to include these instructions in your announcement recording.
- Click Save.
- Record your announcement.
- Dial *98 from a phone.
- Enter the extension assigned to the announcement line.
- Enter the voicemail password (default 0000).
- Press 0 for Mailbox Options and then press 4 to record a Temporary Message. Note: When recorded, this message overrides any other voicemail greetings. In your recording:
- Record 10-20+ seconds of silence after your announcement to ensure the caller does not hear a beep and leave a voicemail.
- If escape to operator is enabled, include instructions to press 0 to be transferred to the specified extension (see step 8 above).
- Follow the voice prompts to accept, review, or re-record the recording.
- Optional: To delete a temporary message, dial *98 or *99 to access the voicemail menu. Press 0 for Mailbox Options, 4 for Record Temporary Message, and then 2 to Delete Temporary Message. If you are a system admin, you can also delete these directly from the admin portal.