Manage Preferences for the Desktop App (Windows)
The GoToTraining Preferences allow you to modify the settings for hosting and joining sessions using the desktop app. Depending on whether you are the organizer or attendee, you will see different options here. Are you using a Mac? See Manage Preferences for the Desktop App (Mac).
Open the desktop app preferences
- Before or during a session, right-click the Dasy icon in your system tray and click Preferences.
- During a session, click File and Preferences in the top menu.
Change start up preferences
- Start – Choose whether GoToTraining should launch as soon as you log in to Windows (default setting), or whether it should wait until you open it manually.
- Sign in – Request that GoToTraining automatically sign you in to the desktop app by enabling the "Remember me" check box. This will allow you to start and join trainings faster. Note that if the "Remember me" option was enabled before your company enforced Enterprise Sign-In (SSO) as your only login method, your login session will remain unaffected, and the next time you are prompted to log in you must log in using single sign-on.
- Show me desktop notifications – Disable or enable the informational pop-up windows that sometimes appear on your screen.
- Remind me of upcoming Meetings – Disable or enable the reminder pop-up windows that notify you when your scheduled sessions are due to begin.
- Automatic Updates – Choose whether to allow the GoToTraining desktop app to proactively install new versions of the desktop app, which will get you into sessions faster (recommended). See Use Automatic Updates to learn more.
Change general preferences
- Save chat logs – If you enable the Chat Logs check box, then a transcript of the chat messages from each session you join will be saved to your computer. Click Browse to change the location where they're saved.
- Session Identity – If you enable the "Remember my name and email" check box, the desktop app will display the specified name and email address in the Attendees pane each time you are in session. This allows you to avoid having to fill in your name and email address each time you join someone else's session.
Change training preferences
You can choose to show or hide the pop-up notifications that appear throughout your sessions.
Change recording preferences
- Audio recording – You can choose which parts of the audio conference are included in your session recordings.
- Don't record audio: Recordings will only include the Presenter's shared screen.
- Use GoToMeeting integrated audio: Recordings will include the voice of everyone who connected to audio via mic and speakers (VoIP) or dialed in via phone (PSTN).
- Use your own audio service: Uses a microphone to record the organizer's voice, while a phone patch device will record everyone else who speaks (requires a physical input device).
- Cloud recordings - If you use cloud recording, you can access your recordings by clicking Training.
- Local recording conversion reminders –If you use local recordings, you must convert you session recordings in order to make them viewable for other individuals. The Recording Manager will appear automatically at the end of each recorded session as a reminder to convert the recording file, but you can choose to disable this reminder.
- Location of recording files – By default, your raw recording files will be saved to the Documents folder on your computer. You can change this location at any time by clicking Browse and selecting a new location. See Locate Recording Files for more information.
Enable email integration preferences
- Use GoToMeeting with – By enabling this check box, you will allow GoToMeeting to form an integration with the email application that you use on your computer.
- Microsoft Outlook – This will allow you to schedule and manage your meetings directly within Microsoft Outlook (v2000 or later). You will need to install the Outlook Calendar Plugin in order to use it.
- IBM Lotus Notes – This will allow you to schedule and start meetings directly within Lotus Notes (v6.5 or later).
- My default email application – This will allow you to integrate GoToTraining with a MAPI-compliant email/calendar program other than Outlook or Lotus Notes. Depending on your email application's capabilities, integration with MAPI-enabled programs allows for features such as automatically adding meetings to a calendar and automatic creation of email messages with meeting information.
Note: You must restart your email application in order for changes to be applied.
Change audio preferences
- Microphone setup –Use the drop-down menu to select which audio device you want to use as your microphone. Note that while some devices may have a built-in mic (such as a webcam), they might not pick up your voice as clearly as a dedicated microphone would. You can use the visual meter to see how well each device in the drop-down menu picks up your voice.
- Speakers setup – Use the drop-down menu to select which audio device you want to use as your speakers. You can click Play Sound to have a short soundtrack play so that you can verify that your selected speakers are working properly.
- Advanced audio settings –These check boxes allow you to enable to disable advanced audio features.
- Automatically adjust my system mixer settings – GoToMeeting automatically adjusts your system mixer settings. We recommend you keep this enabled; if you choose to disable this selection, then you must manually configure your audio settings through Windows Sounds and Audio Devices.
- Use automatic volume and noise processing – Enabling this option can help improve audio quality when people are talking. Disabling this option may improve quality of music or other audio sources.
Change webcam preferences
- Webcam preview – This will show you your live webcam feed, allowing you to make sure everything looks the way you want it to before you broadcast it to other session participants.
- Camera settings –This will show you the make and model of the device being used as a webcam. If you have multiple devices connected, you can choose the desired one from the drop-down menu. You can click Advanced to open the device's Properties window and make advanced changes. These options will vary depending on the setting provided by your webcam manufacturer (e.g., brightness/contrast, zoom, light compensation).
- Display format –You can choose to adjust the aspect ratio of your webcam (i.e., have it displayed in "normal" or "widescreen" view).