Record a Session
You can record any session and then store the recording for attendees to view at a later time. When a session is recorded, the presenter's screen, the audio conference and any shared applications are included.
The features that are available on your account may vary depending on your subscription plan.
How does a session recording work?
As the organizer, there are a couple steps you need to take to successfully record and share session recordings.
- Record the session – Organizers and co-organizers can start and stop recording the meeting.
- Convert the recording – If you recorded locally, you must manually convert the temporary recording file into a downloadable format (.WMV or .MP4) after the meeting ends. If you used cloud recording, your video will be available to you in your web account.
- Share the recording – Your can share the recording with attendees by giving them the direct URL.
Recording methods (cloud vs. local)
GoToMeeting offers you 2 options for session recording.
Cloud recording is available as long as your admin has enabled it in the Admin settings.
Cloud recording: Have your recordings automatically saved online (recommended)
With this option, your session recordings will be automatically saved to the Meeting History tab of your online account. From there you can view, download, and share the recordings with attendees. A local recording will also be saved to your hard drive as a backup.
- Local recording: Have your recordings saved locally on your computer
With this option, your session recordings will be saved as a file on your local hard drive. In order to view or share them with attendees, the recording file will need to be converted to a different format (.MP4). After the session, you will need to manually convert them to a different format using the Recording Manager.
- Local recording: A file of the recording will be saved to the local computer. Manually convert the recording with the Recording Manager.
- Cloud recording: Recording will be saved online and available in the organizer's Meeting History.
- Disabled: Organizers will not be able to record any meetings.
Note: If you have cloud recording enabled in the Admin Center, a temporary local recording will also be saved as a backup.
Start recording during a session
We recommend having 2 organizers record the session in case 1 organizer encounters any issues that may potentially disrupt the recording.
Note: Co-organizers and attendees promoted to the organizer role will not be able to use cloud recording.
- Ensure that you are sharing your screen or an application to include them in the session recording.
- Click the Record icon in the top bar of the Viewer or Grab Tab.
Note: At least 5 GB of free space must be available in the Recordings folder in order to record a session.
- The Recording icon will change and attendees will see a notification that the session is being recorded.
- Once you end the session, you can use the Recording Manager to convert to a downloadable format and share with attendees. Learn more.
- If you have cloud recording enabled, then your recordings were automatically saved online and you do not need to upload them manually. When you end the session, the Meetings History page will launch in a browser where you can play the recording, copy the link, download, and delete. Note that it will take a couple minutes for the latest recording to appear.
Are you seeing something different? Click here for help.
Stop recording during a session
1. Stop recording by hovering over the Record icon and Stop Your Recording.
2. If desired, you can restart recording during the same session by clicking Start Your Recording.
3. If you are using local recording, you will need to manually convert those sessions using the Recording Manager . If you are using online recording, then this step is not necessary and you will be launched directly to your Meeting History page.